K12 PlayKits are designed to give you everything you need for your upcoming school or competition performance without all the hassle, hoops, and uncertainty of traditional licensing. This one-time fee includes a PDF performance script/score, Copy License, Opening Act performance license, marketing materials, and more!
K12 PlayKits are only available for accredited elementary, middle, high school, or homeschool performances. All other groups must apply for a license via application form.
Questions about how it works? Click here for our K12 PlayKit FAQ!
PlayKit | The Monkey King
Adapted for the stage by Shen Pei
Translated by Jeffrey Hatcher
The Jade Emperor & Empress are hosting a feast when suddenly, a monkey hatches from a rock & declares himself King, enraging heaven & earth. After the Emperor fails to to capture him, the Monkey challenges Buddha himself! Losing the battle, the Monkey's earthly adventures begin. Accompanied by a monk and two animal companions, the four set off on a quest which tests their character.
“The Monkey King is a beautiful synthesis of stylistic influences, from dance and Beijing Opera to cartoons, from martial arts to old-fashioned stage hamming.” – Minneapolis Star Tribune
Pages: 58 pg
Casting Breakdown: 23+ ensemble (doubling possible)
Estimated run time: 90-100 minutes
Originally commissioned and produced at Children's Theatre Company in 2004
This K12 PlayKit includes:
- Opening Act Edition PDF script
- Opening Act performance license for 1-8 performances (choose the number of performances using drop-down bar)
- Copy license to copy included PDF script for your cast, crew, and production team. There is no additional cost for scripts!
- Media pack including logo PNG & SVG's as well as template poster files.
- Director's Guide with tips, suggested rehearsal activities, FAQ, and more!
Photos from original production at Children's Theatre Company